Contact privacy office
- sending an email at email@example.com or
- sending a letter to Pythian Services Inc. 319 McRae Avenue, Suite 700, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1Z 0B9
How personal information is collected
We may collect personal information either directly from you or indirectly through cookies or third parties.
You give Pythian personal information directly when you interact with our websites, register a user or service account with us or interact with us in person. Personal information we collect from you may include: your first and last name, address, phone numbers, email addresses, credit card information (typically associated with the name of your employer) and credentials (passwords, password hints and other authentication and account access data). We collect this information directly from you, for example, when:
- you create an account on our website(s)
- you provide the personal information to us in connection with a services agreement that your employer executes with us
- you register with us for a sales event/conference
- you post comments, participate in forums, wikis or blogs
- you contact us by phone, email, text or chat sessions relating to customer support or other matters
Indirect collection of information
Through cookies and similar technologies
- session cookies – to distinguish you from other users
- authentication cookies – to indicate if you are logged in or not
From third parties
Pythian may obtain information about you from third parties, for example:
- A company your work for, if that company is a client of Pythian;
- third parties who are authorized by you, at the time of registering at an event or otherwise, to share your information with Pythian;
- services providers we use in order to provide you with our services, as for example, our invoicing and payment processing service provider;
- publicly available sources.
How personal information is used
Pythian may process your personal information to: (a) provide, improve or develop the requested services to fulfil our contractual obligations with you or your employer to complete a transaction; (b) send communications to you, including commercial electronic messages and promotional communications; and (c) comply with legal requirements.
Providing, improving and developing Pythian services
We use data to provide and improve the services we offer, as well as to develop new products or services or to provide customer support. For example, we use your personal information to:
- activate your account, send you invoices and provide you with technical support;
- understand and meet your preferences;
- add new features to our existing services or products;
- send you notices on upgrades and updates;
- deactivate your account when your relationship with Pythian ends;
- use your personal data to detect and prevent fraud;
- authenticate your identity when you log in to your account or when you request information that should only be provided to you; and
- protect the security of our systems, services and clients, as well as to protect our rights, safety and property and those of our affiliates, you or others, so that we can pursue available remedies or limit damages that we may sustain
Sending communications to you
We use your personal information to communicate with you; for example:
- to fulfill or enforce applicable notices;
- to respond to your inquiries;
- to send you communications relating to services, promotions or events
Complying with legal requirements
We may need to use your personal information to comply with legal and regulatory requirements and legal processes, including, for example, responding to lawful requests from public and government authorities and court orders.
Disclosure to third parties
- the detection or prevention of fraud;
- the sale or transfer of Pythian or substantially all of their assets;
- protecting Pythian property and enforcing Pythian rights under our services agreements;
- the provision of professional advice Pythian may need from financial, insurance, legal, accounting and other advisors, always under confidentiality terms; and
- responding to lawful requests, such as to respond to subpoenas, warrants, court orders, or other related legal requests or proceedings
We rely on our legitimate interest to conduct our business when we grant these third parties access to your personal information. If the law requires that we obtain your consent for a specific disclosure, we will proceed in accordance with “Your Consent”.
Pythian will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the stated purposes, or for a period specifically required by applicable laws. When no longer required, Pythian will take steps to have the information deleted, destroyed, erased, aggregated or made anonymous.
Your Rights, Choices and Consent
Your rights and how to exercise them
Pythian will respond to any questions, requests or concerns you may have within the timeframe provided by applicable law following receipt of your written request at firstname.lastname@example.org or at our mailing address. If there are any exceptions that apply, we will inform you about them.
You have choices about the information that is collected about you. You can refuse to provide Pythian with your personal data; however, there is a minimum amount of personal information needed so that you can complete any specific transaction, access any particular area of the site, register a user account and/or access certain features of our services. If you choose not to provide the minimum personal information required, you may not be able to register an account or use the applicable service. In some cases, other optional information is requested, which you may elect to provide for a more personalized experience. You can view, edit or delete your personal data online for some of Pythian products. You can also make choices about the information we collect from you. You can always choose whether you wish to receive marketing or promotional messages from Pythian (commercial electronic messages) by using the unsubscribe mechanism made available to you in the message or by otherwise contacting the Privacy Office.
Where the law requires that we obtain explicit consent from you to collect and use your personal information (as for example when we want to send you marketing emails), we will not collect your personal data unless you give us your consent. To withdraw your consent from receiving marketing emails or other commercial electronic messages from Pythian, you may use the unsubscribe mechanism provided in the relevant email or contact us using the contact information provided above. In most cases, however, the reason for us to collect and use your personal information is our need to fulfil our contractual obligations with you or your employer or to complete a transaction or provide you with information or services you have requested. When Pythian processes your personal data for these or similar reasons, Pythian is pursuing a legitimate business interest, and it relies on it as a lawful basis to process your personal data.
Security of your personal information
Pythian has implemented and maintains administrative, technical and physical security measures for the safeguard of your personal information from unauthorized access, alteration, loss, theft or disclosure. These measures include computer safeguards, as well as secured files and buildings. We store your personal information on computer systems that have limited access and are located in secure facilities. In the event we share information with third party service providers, we restrict the ability of such parties to use or disclose the information we furnish. We also require such parties to apply appropriate security measures to protect information. We use reasonable measures to strive to safeguard and secure the personal information we collect. Transfers of personal information over the internet are done using encryption technologies. Any transmission of personal information by you to Pythian is at your own risk. Technology such as Transport Layer Security (TLS) or Secure Shell (SSH) is used to enhance security and reduce risk of loss. We update and test our security technology on an ongoing basis. We restrict access to your personal information to those personnel who need to know that information to provide services to you. In addition, we train our personnel about the importance of confidentiality and maintaining the privacy and security of your information. You also have an obligation to safeguard your personal information. Our security practices, processes and technology do not guarantee absolute security of your information and you can reduce the risk of unauthorized access to your personal information by using common sense security practices. Some security best practices include, but are not limited to:
- control access to your computer systems;
- create a strong password;
- use different passwords for different services;
- use up-to-date antivirus software;
- keep passwords confidential (no sharing);
- close browsers;
- avoid using public networks (e.g., internet cafes, etc.)
Just as Pythian does with its personnel, employees of the Organizations are advised to treat any personal Information with care.
International operations and onward transfers
Parents and children
We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under 16. We will cancel the registration of any user account initiated by a child upon becoming aware of any such registration. Parents have the right to terminate the registration of a child under 16. Please contact Pythian at email@example.com to instruct such termination.
Third party websites