Pythian helps Schnucks harness power of analytics
Technology has long been a priority for Schnuck Markets, Inc., a leading Midwest supermarket retailer headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri. For years, the company has leveraged G Suite and Chromebooks across their 100+ store footprint to save time, improve customer service, and facilitate collaboration among their more than 14,000 teammates. They’ve invested in a fiber-rich infrastructure, launched a customer loyalty app, and even leveraged robotics to track out-of-stock items and accurate prices on store shelves.
The next logical step in their journey? Robust data insights to drive stronger decision-making. Pythian’s data scientists helped Schnucks develop a machine learning model to predict shopper likelihood to buy certain products.
What we did
- Helped the grocer to:
- Set the right incentive strategy. Pythian’s data scientists helped Schnucks develop a machine learning model to predict shopper likelihood to buy certain products. These insights drove other campaign parameters
- Launch in the cloud. The modern, scalable Google Cloud platform gave Schnucks computing power and ease-of-use. It offered far more flexibility than creating a custom, on-premise solution
- Test and learn. The 12-week proof of concept gave the Schnucks team the opportunity to learn the platform and absorb Pythian’s analytic approach in a collaborative environment
- Worked quickly to launch the proof of concept. This included:
- Building an algorithmic, machine learning model in Google Cloud. The model predicts the likelihood a customer will buy certain products, based on their individual shopping history
- Identifying Own Brand products to recommend to each customer, based on their unique results in the model
- Distributing coupons, special offers, and other promotions to the test group during each week of the 12-week campaign, via Schnucks Rewards, the company’s loyalty program (the control group received no recommendations or incentives)
- Google Cloud